piątek, 27 stycznia 2012

Dr Ever

8th of december 2011

Thursday. The day of Immaculate Conception of Holy Lady. Sun timidly shows its nose from behind the duvet woven of the white clouds. Silence. It's gonna be a wonderful day. Some of our boys went with Ania and Arthur up to the mountains. Lidia since the morning sings and smlies to all who have stayed at home. We will clean the house and prepare a food for our wanderers. I went outside and I'm looking at  small, narrow path leading up to the top of the mountains. I'm looking with attention but I can't see anybody out there. From that distance they are probably like aunts.
We gather in the hall to divide a work for today. Johan? Ausente (Absent). I look for him in his sleeping room, then in TV room, kitchen and bathroom. He disappeared. Alvaro calls me to the laundry that is situated next to our patio. Johan is standing near the sink. From his nose is running a blood like a water from the roof gutter on rainy day. I try to stop the blood. Without any results. We have to go to the hospital. I'm taking in hurry my stuffs. Reyne stops a moto-taxi. We go out in a front of the house. Moto-taxi driver while making pee on a grass next to the fance screams: "Buenos dias" ("Good morning"). I'm not surprised here anymore of anything. I live in Peru.

Few minutes later we rush with the speed of the turtle in the direction of the hospital. Yes, that's "emergency" case. Admission room. I ran into the building looking for any doctor. Some man wearing a faded, green t-shirt and white, latex glows is dancing to the rythm of "huajno" (traditional peruvian music) and making flourish with the broom. He explains me calmly that we have to wait. The blood running out of Johan's nose doesn't impress him at all. In the opposite room there is a lady wearing a high-heels shoes and outstretched sweater. She is fighting with the spiders. I want to shout that is not a time for a spring clean. OK, they finished. The lady of spiders impersonates a nurse and checks a blood preassure of Johan. Everthing happens in the corridor of course. She writes down from memory the temperature: 36,3°. She invites us to the room and she makes out a bill for 5 soles for this consult. Surprise. A man in a green, faded t-shirt puts on his neck a stethoscope and starts an examination. Torch is not necessary, NOKIA gives a light too. Johan's pupils react correctly. Breath stabilized. His heart probably beats in the rythm of "huajno", that still resounds in the hospital. Music heals, softens a pain. I'm observing it all and I'm listenning. The causes of nosebleed can be various...in this case the only necessary things are: referral for morphology and tampon moistened with adrenaline. The nurse is taking an ampoule of adrenaline and gauze from the glass show-case and makes out an other bill this time for making a nose dressing. Of course she doesn't wash her hands. I'm terrified seeing how the nurse is puting into the Johan's nose formless scroll of gauze. We have to wait a few minutes before we'll come back home.




I look around. Under the table, next to the door I see flattened mop that looks like an octopus. On the wall, right behind me there's a first-aid set sticked to the wall with linen plaster. Inside of it I can see just one syringe and an ampoule of adrenaline. Above the sink there is a figure of Jesus (Senor de Milagros) decorated with the Christmas lights. Johan is bored. He is looking  up to the celling observing a nurse who is collecting with the broom some spider-webs. I take stealthily some photos. After 10 mintes comes back a doctor. Asks me where do I came from and for how long I came here. He has a friend in polish city called Gdańsk. Then he asks me if Lech Wałęsa is my compatriot. He says a few of complements. His name is Dr Ever. He hopes to be of service in the future.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz